Sunday, September 16, 2012

Fall


As much as I dislike cold weather, I love fall. The leaves changing colours, Halloween, the beginning of sweater seasons – they are all reasons I love fall. But one of the main reasons I love fall is apple picking. 
I loved apple picking as a child, and I still love it to this day. I remember as a child going apple picking with my mom and my sister, and my tradition was to pick one apple at the very beginning of the day and spend the rest of the time at the orchard polishing that apple. Then, just as we were about to leave I would eat my polished apple and I swear it was the best apple in the world. 

Usually when I go apple picking, I go a little over board. My goal for apple picking this season was to pick my weight in apples – but luckily that didn’t happen! I only picked 10lbs of apples, but still that’s a lot of apples. So I immediately started baking! I decided to start with the classic Apple Crisp. I love how it makes the house smell wonderfully of cinnamon and apples! Here’s the recipe:

Apple Crisp

10 cups all-purpose apples, peeled, cored and sliced
1 cup white sugar
1 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
¼  cup water

1 cup quick-cooking oats
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
¼ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
½ cup butter, melted

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F  
  2. Toss the apples with the white sugar, 1 tbsp flour, ground cinnamon and nutmeg. Place the apples in the bottom of the baking dish and pour water evenly over.
  3. Combine the oats, 1 cup flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and melted butter together. Crumble evenly over the apple mixture.
  4. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 45 minutes. There should be bubbling along the side of the crisp and the topping should be browned.
As a quick side note: in the picture I had made a half batch of this recipe, so I put it in a 8x8 baking dish. 

This recipe is super simple and the end product is delicious with ice cream or whipped cream. It is definitely a sweet dessert. So if you wanted to cut back on the sweetness, you could cut back on the sugar mixed in with the apples. I’d say half a cup would be fine. 

If you end up apple picking this season and come home with a whole bunch of apples you don’t know what to do with, why not try this recipe? It’ll be a crowd favourite I’m sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment