Sunday, April 15, 2012

An Update from the Busy Bee (That's me!)


Oh boy, who knew so many things could happen at once? I guess it’s that time of the year though, end of the school semester, start of wedding season, taxes, etc. Because of all this other (unimportant) stuff going on, I haven’t had much time to update this blog. That’s not to say I haven’t been baking!  On the contrary!
 
This is post is just a quick update with what I have been baking recently, although there will be no recipes. Instead, I hope you simply enjoy looking at the pictures of delicious treats and become inspired to try and bake something new! 
The big baking project I’ve had has been for a wedding tasting. A friend from elementary school recently asked me to bake mini cupcakes for one of her wedding events, so this weekend we had a cupcake tasting! I’ve been busy making batches of cupcakes, frosting, truffles and cookies for her to sample and see what she likes. Here are the pictures from the baking day and the tasting set-up.

The kitchen - all nice and clean for bake day! Needless to say, things got very messy, very quickly. My recipes are proof of that!


First on the docket, chocolate mini cupcakes. They came out really well, super moist, although a little on the small size. For the final product, I'll put a bit more batter into the cupcake liners.


Up next, red velvet! I tried a new recipe for red velvet, since the one I usually use (and love) is more of a slightly red chocolate cake. So after finding a helpful article comparing multiple red velvet recipes (link to the article), I decided to try it. They can out fantastic! Bright red! And huge! I was not expecting them to rise that much. I'll definitely be putting a wee bit less into the cupcake liners next time.


The last set of cupcakes was good ol' vanilla. To fancy them up, I decided to dye the batter with different colours. They turned out awesome! Look at them! So vibrant! And they are fluffy and moist. Delicious!


And now the final set up, the vanilla cupcakes were topped with a vanilla buttercream, which I dyed in some cases. The red velvet cupcakes had a cream cheese frosting, and the chocolate cupcakes were transformed into Turtles cupcakes. They were topped with a vanilla buttercream, caramel and pecans.

2 comments:

  1. The best chefs and cooks are messy in their craft, and oft have the kitchen messy. With that, the chocolate mini cupcakes look amazing. All varities do, but with chocolate, one have a glass of cold milk or vanilla ice cream on the side...

    ReplyDelete