Friday, January 20, 2012

Best memories as a child

I don't know about you, but some of my best food memories as a child are from eating unbaked desserts. Whether raw cookie dough, brownie batter or cake batter - it was always delicious and made even more so by the fact it was forbidden (it had raw eggs in it after all). But my mom usually allowed me one little taste and it was the best. So now as an adult, I love indulging my raw dessert tooth.

I've been checking out some new blog recently, trying to start the year off fresh and new, and I stumbled across Chef in Training (also on blogger). She posts some of the most exciting and enticing food I've seen!
I came across her chocolate chip cookie dough truffles, and thought those would be heavenly, but then something else caught my eye. Cake Batter Truffles. Yes, you read that right. Cake batter, in a truffle! So it was decided, I'd be making those this week!

Here is the recipe, slightly adapted from Chef in Training (and she got it from The Girl Who Ate Everything):


Cake Batter Truffles
Makes approximately 40 truffles
  • ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
  • ½ cup white sugar
  • 1 ½ cups flour
  • 1 cup cake mix (I used Devil's Food)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 3-4 Tablespoons milk
Truffle Coating:
  • Enough chocolate to cover all your truffles! (I used Yellow candy melts, but any kind of chocolate will do)
Directions
  1. Beat together butter and sugar using an electric mixer until combined. Blend in vanilla.  Add cake mix, and flour and mix thoroughly. Add 3 Tablespoons of milk or more if needed to make a dough consistency. 
  2. Roll dough into half inch balls and place on a parchment or wax paper lined cookie sheet. Chill balls in the refrigerator for 15 minutes to firm up.
  3. Melt chocolate in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring each time, until melted (or you can melt it in a double boiler).
  4. Dip truffles into chocolate with either a dipping too or a fork and shake of excess chocolate by tapping the bottom of the dipper/fork on the side of your bowl. Place truffle back on the cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining balls until finished.
  5. Chill cake batter truffles in the refrigerator until serving. (I prefer them at room temperature so I'd let them come to room temperature before serving)
This recipe is really simple - I'm not lying - and you can customize it anyway you want! The recipe originally said to use yellow cake mix, but all I had was devil's food. So you can use any kind of cake mix you like (I'm thinking the rainbow cake mix would be awesome). Also, you can add sprinkled into the batter itself, or sprinkle them on top.
This recipe definitely satisfies my craving for raw cake batter, but instead of drinking a liquid batter you get a nice solid ball surrounded by a crisp chocolate shell. Everyone else that has tried them adores them as well. They are really sweet though (at least with the candy melts on the outside), so that's why I made mine extra small. It might help if you dip them in a dark or bitter-sweet chocolate, but it's up to you!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment